Surrey dating group
He arranged to have the Chertsey cricket team travel to France in 1789 to introduce cricket to the French nobility. A neat building, of which the first stone was laid in November 1838, by the high sheriff of the county, has been erected for a literary and scientific institution.However, the team, on arriving at Dover, met the Ambassador returning from France at the outset of the French Revolution and the opportunity was missed. The trade is principally in malt and flour; the manufacture of coarse thread, and the making of iron-hoops and brooms, are carried on to a considerable extent; and a great quantity of bricks is also made in the neighbourhood.It rendered a larger than average sum for the book of manor and ecclesiastical parish entries, £22.The Abbey grew to become one of the largest Benedictine abbeys in England, supported by large fiefs in the northwest corner of Sussex and Surrey until it was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1536.
Ann's Well was once in repute for its efficacy in curing diseases of the eye.
During this period until at least 1911 a wider area was included in Chertsey: Ottershaw (and Brox) was an ecclesiastical district; whose church-sponsored (first built) schools were built in 1870, so too was Addlestone.
Today the history of the abbey is reflected in local place names and the surviving former fishponds that fill with water after heavy rain.
Chertsey's Anglican church has a medieval tower and chancel roof and 18th-century listed buildings include the stone Chertsey Bridge and Botleys Mansion. on weekdays from Michaelmas to Lady Day, is associated with the romantic local legend of Blanche Heriot, celebrated by a statue of the heroine and the bell at Chertsey Bridge.
Its green spaces include the Thames Path National Trail, Chertsey Meads and a round knoll (St Ann's Hill) with remains of a prehistoric hill fort known as Eldebury Hill.